A facelift is a cosmetic procedure that gives better contour to the face and neck. This in turn allows you to feel better and perhaps younger than you are.
It is important to identify exactly what it is that bothers
you about your face. In general, a facelift can often be combined with
eyelid surgery or other ancillary procedures (botox, restylane fillers,
etc) to obtain an optimal result. The outcome of such a procedure is a
younger and more rejuvenated look which increases your self esteem and
Various factors will be assessed to decide whether you are a candidate including:
- the thickness, texture and elasticity of your skin
- severity of wrinkles and folds
- hairline will be examined to determine where incisions can be discreetly placed
- bone structure and underlying tissues
I do not perform a full facelift on smokers but certain other
procedures can be performed to improve your face. This will be
discussed with you at the consultation.
A facelift will not change your general appearance but rather
add a youthful tone to your face. Any one or combination of the
following conditions may indicate that you are a good candidate for a
- deep line, or fold, running from the corner of your nose to the corner of your mouth
- jowls, (loss of a well-defined jawline)
- deep wrinkles in the cheeks and sagging of the cheekbones
- loose skin, wrinkles, vertical "cords" or excess fatty tissue in the neck
The incisions are most commonly hidden in the natural contour of your ear, extending around the earlobe and back into the hairline. In certain circumstances, the incision may follow the hairline. Following surgery, incisions can be easily concealed by your hair or with makeup. There may also be a small incision hidden underneath your chin as you may require some liposuction to improve the contour of your neck.
Through these incisions the skin is freed and redraped in a
In some instances, the deeper tissues may also need to be repositioned in order to restore a more youthful contour to your face.
The amount of time it takes to recover from your surgery varies amongst individuals but you are generally ready to return to work after about ten days to two weeks. You will need several days to relax and elevating your head will help the swelling to subside. There may also be some bruising which is normal for this type of procedure.
You will be instructed to temporarily avoid exposure to direct sunlight and, for the long-term, to be conscientious about the use of a sunblock to protect your skin.
COMPLICATIONS / DISADVANTAGES
Complications are relatively rare if performed by an
It is important that you ask your plastic surgeon about such complications before they occur so that you are aware of what may happen.
Some of the potential complications that may be discussed with
- hematoma (an accumulation of blood under the skin that may require removal
- reactions to anesthesia
- injury to underlying structures is possible, though it is usually only temporary; the facial nerve which supplies the muscles of the face is one of the most vital structures referred to here and injury to it during facelifts occurs in 0.9% of cases (Baker)
- visible scars (incisions are most often inconspicuous, but this is not entirely predicable due to individual variations in healing)
- wound dehiscence (the incision that was sutured may open and require further surgery or leave a poor scar)
- the skin that is elevated may die and slough off; this occurs in 1% - 3% of cases (mostly occurs in smokers and requires further reconstructive surgery)
- hair loss around the incisions has been reported to occur in about 1% - 3% of cases
- darkening of the skin may occur but this is mostly temporary but may take up to 8 months to recover; it may be permanent in rare cases
- prolonged swelling
- prolonged bruising
- earlobe deformities
Although these complications appear daunting, they are very
rare. It is however important to be completely informed about your
operation and we can discuss these in further detail if you are concerned.
A facelift operation is in general a very rewarding operation and you will feel more confident when meeting people. The rejuvenation that you will obtain is refreshing and you will appear much younger than you actually are.